Medical cannabis was officially legalized in Missouri in 2018. The medical cannabis program gave hundreds of thousands of patients full access to this healing plant. At the same time, recreational cannabis remains illegal within the state. Meanwhile, it has the status of a decriminalized drug, which makes it possible to store, transfer, and use cannabis (in a small amount).
Conditions for patients in Missouri
Only an adult resident of the state who has one of the following diagnoses (confirmed) can become a member of the medical marijuana program in Missouri:
- Any chronic or debilitating state (hepatitis C, Crohn’sCrohn’s disease, Huntington’sHuntington’s disease, autism, neuropathy, cachexia, exacerbation of Alzheimer’sAlzheimer’s disease and wasting syndrome);
- A chronic disease that causes strong pain or muscle spasms (multiple sclerosis, seizures, Parkinson’sParkinson’s disease, and Tourette syndrome);
- Mental disorders;
- PTSD confirmed by a psychiatrist;
- Chronic disease that requires the use of opiates or other addictive drugs, which can be replaced with marijuana;
- Chronic migraines that don’t respond to alternative therapy;
- Any incurable disease.
The diagnosis of a state resident must be confirmed by an appropriate document from the attending physician. To confirm the fact of residence in Missouri, it is enough to provide one of the following documents:
- Driver’sDriver’s license;
- The ID of Missouri;
- Utility bills;
- Other documents quoted by the Department.
Conditions for doctors in Missouri
Only a doctor who has the appropriate permission can prescribe medicinal marijuana. After confirming the qualifications and obtaining a license, the doctor can prescribe cannabis to the patients with pathological conditions in which he/she considers it necessary and reasonable.
How to legally buy medical marijuana in Missouri
Each patient who owns the MMJ card of Missouri can purchase up to 4 ounces of marijuana in specialized dispensaries. Patients are also allowed to keep marijuana at home for 60 days. This limit can be increased with the permission of two independent doctors. Meanwhile, the purchase and sale of marijuana outside official dispensaries and without the doctor’s prescription is punishable by law, although it doesn’t entail criminal punishment.
Extension of medical marijuana card in Missouri
Opening and extension of a medical marijuana card will cost the resident of Missouri $25. The validity period of the card is 1 year. You can prolong it by re-submitting the documents to the specialist from Dr.Weedy. The application documents are similar to those submitted when you first open the card. It is recommended to apply for the renewal of the card in advance (before the last day of the validity of the current card).